Why is the Monastery called Klobukov? There are several versions of this. First of all, a legend, which tells how a monk klobuk (a headgear) was found there? When Archbishop St. John of Novgorod is fabled to ride a demon to Jerusalem, he lost his klobuk in Kashin. The Saint enjoined to build a monastery where the klobuk was found.
The second version is that it may be not Klobukov, but Kablukov. This name is easier to explain. The Vonzha River flows into the Kashinka River at the walls of the Monastery. A narrow cape at the point, where one river enters another, looks like a heel (rus.: "kabluk"). The Monastary stands on a "heel".
The Klobukov Monastery is one of the most picturesque places of present-day Kashin. It was founded in around 1400. The place is always quite. The view of the Resurrection Cathedral from here is magnificent.
Around 1420, Saint Makarius Kalyazinsky, who founded St. Trinity Monastery in Kalyazin, took monastic vows in the Klobukov Monastery. His secular name was Matvei Kozhin.
Every member of the Monastery fraternity marvelled at his monastic deeds. However, Makarius left the Monastery and built a small cell in a dense forest by the Zhabnya River, in the land owned by boyar Ivan Kalyaga. He secluded himself there to fast and pray all the time.
Years later, Makarius's followers built a church and cells, and St. Trinity Cloister appeared. Makarius Kalyazinsky helped people both during his lifetime and after it. He died in 1483. The relics were found 38 years later. Today, the St. Makarius's relics are kept in the White Trinity Church of Tver.
During the 1609 Lithuanian Invasion, the Monastery was looted.
In 1664, a stone church, dedicated to St. Trinity, with St. Nicholas's side chapel was founded and replaced a small wooden temple. The construction was financed by the rich landowners Anisimovs. Later, this church became a side chapel of St. Trinity Cathedral, built from 1664 to 1684. St. Nicholas's Church, as St. Trinity Cathedral, had one dome. A hipped-roof bell tower adjoined it from the south.
The 15th century was very prosperous for the Monastery.
In 1764, its lands and peasants were taken away. The Monastery was listed as insignificant. Soon after, the wooden Church of the Entrance of the Most Holy Theotokos into the Temple was turned into a parish and separated from the Monastery. For very long time, the Monastery was a spiritual and administrative centre of quite a large district. In 1777, a religious board was opened there.
In the mid-18th century, the Cathedral was reconstructed. A small side chapel dedicated to St. Nicholas was added from the north. From the west, there was a long porch, which served as a base for a 12-meter-high (39 ft) bell tower, built in 1818. North of the Cathedral, the gate Intercession Church, built from 1680 to 1709, rose. The lower floor was cut through with three arches, while the upper floor had a small temple with a rectangular altar and an arcade porch.
In 1715–1740, the Monastery was surrounded with a stone fence. At the same period, a brick refectory, a treasury chamber upon cellars, and abbot's cells upon the basement were built.
In the south-eastern part of the Monastery, the Church of St. Alexius was built with support from the merchants Zhdanovs from 1851 to 1854. A big church was very important for the Monastery.
In 1879, an abbot's building was constructed.
In 1903, a chapel, which was then covered with a four-sided tent, was built west of the Church. It was used as a case for a cell, where monk Makarius is fabled to live.
The Monastery did not live long after the 1917 Russian Revolution. People say that one day all monks were put into a car and driven away to an undisclosed location...
In 1929, the bells were taken down, and the iconostasis was demolished. In 1931, the bell tower was completely broken. In the same 1931, the Monastery was used as a pigsty. The lower floor of St. Alexius's Church was occupied by sausage cooperative "Invalid" and later by a pottery.
Afterwards, Kashin meat processing and packing factory was located in the Cloister. The St. Makarius's cell was turned into a cattle killing facility. A fire of the late 1980s put an end to the meat-packing factory. It destroyed all its property, but did not damage any of the Monastery buildings.
In 1932, St. Trinity Cathedral was demolished. In 1934, the southern part of the fence was dismantled. The cells were accommodated by citizens.
On 18 July 1994, the Monastery was opened again. Reconstruction works started on 14 October 1995. First, it was a friary. However, later it became a convent.
The Monastery has three stone churches dedicated to:
– St. Trinity (1664) with St. Nicholas's side chapel, consecrated in 1832;
– the Intercession, built in 1400 and reconstructed in 1821;
– St. Alexius, Metropolitan of Moscow, consecrated in 1851, with two side chapels dedicated to the Our Lady of Tikhvin and SS. Paul and Peter, consecrated in 1854.
There was a high gate bell tower.
The St. Makarius's cell, where he started his monastic deeds, is the priciest thing of the Monastery. It has existed since 1425. This quite a small cell holds a lectern, an ancient cross, and a candlestick of the Saint. A schema, ancient church banners, an ark, vessels, a cross with 112 relics of various saints, iron chains, etc. were kept in the Monastery's sacristy. The library had several valuable manuscript books published before the 18th century.
The Church of SS. Peter and Paul was first mentioned in the Church's cadastre of 1621. It was mentioned as a wooden church in the 1709 chronicle. Originally, the wooden church of SS. Peter and Paul was situated on the bank of the Kashinka River, where it was repeatedly flooded during the spring flood-time. That is why, in 1780 to 1782, the Church w...
Patrol men wrote about the Church of the Nativity as early as 1621, "There is a church in Rozhdestvenskaya gorka Sloboda (settlement), owned by Ivan Semyonov Sergievsky..." Later the settlement was confiscated from the landowner and handed over to Kashinsky posad, including the Church.
In 1774 to 1786, the wooden building was reconstructed in st...
The Church of St. Elijah (the Transfiguration Church) is the oldest parish church with five domes. It was built from 1775 to 1778. However, a wooden Transfiguration church with St. Elijah's side chapel was mentioned in the census book of 1709.
Double dedication was explained by two side chapels. They predetermined two-storey structure of the Chu...