The Church of SS. Peter and Paul was first mentioned in the Church's cadastre of 1621. It was mentioned as a wooden church in the 1709 chronicle. Originally, the wooden church of SS. Peter and Paul was situated on the bank of the Kashinka River, where it was repeatedly flooded during the spring flood-time. That is why, in 1780 to 1782, the Church was moved to the former market place and rebuilt of stone. The Church's honoured sacred object is the icon of Our Lady of Tikhvin. The Church is a church town of St. Nicholas's Klobuk Monastery.
The Church is very simple of "octagon on square" type. It has not been changed since the 17th century; its proportions and windows are classical in their forms. A five-cant apse is the size of the lower height of the square and the refectory. A two-tired bell tower with a spire rises above the porch.
The Church's silhouette is compact, tight and topped with the suddenly raised spire. The compositional wholeness of the building is slightly broken with annexes. However, inside the Church, after you pass through narrow front rooms, you will be highly impressed with vertical column-shape main hall.
Architectural elements of different styles emphasise originality of local masters, their flamboyant tastes, and free disposition. The building is positioned very effectively and meets the eye from afar.
Being functional, the Church is always full of people and loved by its parishioners. Many generations of Kashin citizens have been baptised, and priests' children have obtained their surnames there.
In 1934, bells were removed, and an iconostasis was dismantled.
In 1940, the Church's interior was reconstructed; the church services were resumed.
In 1986, the bell tower was destroyed by thunderstorm.
In Soviet times, when all other Kashin churches were shut down, the Church of SS. Peter and Paul remained the only functional church in Kashin, a formerly large Orthodox pilgrim centre.
The Church was not shut down, however, another misfortune befell it. Those, who built the Church, did not expect, of course, that a road would go near the church's walls, and heavy trucks will rumble there. Steady-state vibration damaged the foundation, and the walls cracked. Thus, in the 1980s, the Church of SS. Peter and Paul was closed because of its emergency condition. Relics of St. Anna and all church property were moved to Kashin Cathedral of the Ascension. Church services were not led from 1986 to 1987.
They were resumed after the Church and the bell tower spire were reconstructed; the cross was erected. The Church's interior was restored thanks to parishioners' contributions and help.
Patrol men wrote about the Church of the Nativity as early as 1621, "There is a church in Rozhdestvenskaya gorka Sloboda (settlement), owned by Ivan Semyonov Sergievsky..." Later the settlement was confiscated from the landowner and handed over to Kashinsky posad, including the Church.
In 1774 to 1786, the wooden building was reconstructed in st...
The Church of St. Elijah (the Transfiguration Church) is the oldest parish church with five domes. It was built from 1775 to 1778. However, a wooden Transfiguration church with St. Elijah's side chapel was mentioned in the census book of 1709.
Double dedication was explained by two side chapels. They predetermined two-storey structure of the Chu...
In the 17th century, Mikhail Fyodorovich, the first tsar of the Romanov dynasty, donated land for a construction of the Church of the Ascension in Kashin.
The stone church was constructed in 1799. Earlier on its site, there was the wooden Church of the Ascension, destroyed in 1709. This is the town's large-scale structure, second only to the Cat...