The A. S. Pushkin Museum was opened in May 1999, in Kiev, the day before the 200th anniversary of the birth of the great Russian poet. The exposition is based on a collection of Yakov Berdichevsky, the Kiever and Pushkin scholar. When he left to move to Germany, he gifted his collection to the city with proviso that a museum would be established.
The museum was gifted a modest mansion in Kudryavskaya Street, 9, built in 1880s and famous because Mikhail Bulgakov lived there in his boyhood days.
To be honest, Alexander Sergeevich had never been in this house. The famous Pushkin places in Kiev are considered to be the house of the Raevsky family in Grushevskaya St, 14, and the Zelenaya Hotel in Pechersk, nonexistent now, where the classic had stayed.
Pushkin was very interested in Ukraine. He even has an extensive work called "The Essay on the History of Ruthenia". Just few people know that the poem Ruslan and Ludmila is dedicated to Kiev. The line "On seashore far a green oak towers…" is about the Kiev Garden. In addition, Ludmila was a daughter of Vladimir the Krasno Solnyshko (literally, the Fair Sun). Ruslan fought with the Pincenates under the walls of ancient Kiev.
The museum exposition has interesting rare books with author marks by friends and contemporaries of the poet who are not only the men of pen but also known politicians and statesmen.
The collection keeps also rare lifetime editions of Pushkin. The first edition of Ruslan and Ludmila, for instance, is held there. The most valuable exhibited item, that even the Moscow museum has not had until recently, is the Onegin notebooks. The situation was that the poem Eugene Onegin had been issued chapter by chapter over an eight year period. Only in 1833, its first full edition was published. The Onegin notebooks are also from the Berdichevsky collection. There is also the first edition of the South Poems "The Fountain of Bakhchisaray" and "The Prisoner of the Caucasus".
The museum exhibits a full height statue of the poet created by Alexander Terebenev, the sculptor, in 1837. It consists of a blend of crushed minerals called "biscuit". One of the most valuable items of the museum is an edition of The Sovremennik magazine (literally, The Contemporary) with a censorial permission by Krylov which Pushkin kept in his hands. The poet composed the second volume of the magazine by himself.
On 21st November 2001, the day of St. Michael the Archangel, the protector of Kiev, the Museum of the History of St. Michael's Golden-Domed Monastery (the Museum, for short; the Monastery, for short) was solemnly opened; the Monastery existed from 1108 to 1936 and was re-established in 1998 and is one of the most significant Ukraine's architectural...
In 1714, Peter the Great decided to build a country residence that would match the French Versailles in its sumptuousness. Preserved sketches of the tsar, his decrees and notes on documents allow us to state that the founder of Peterhof himself developed the general idea of the ensemble's layout as well as the detailed design of some elements of th...
The Museum House of Maria Zankovetska (the Museum, for short) was opened in 1960 on the first floor of a small building No. 121 in Bolshaya Vasilkovskaya Street where the famous Ukraine actress lived for her last years.
The Museum exposition consists of a collection previously belonging to the State Museum of Theatre, Music, and Cinema Arts of U...