The A. S. Popov Central Museum of Communications (the Museum, for short), one of the oldest museums of science and technology in the world, is located in the historic centre of St. Petersburg, near Isaac Square. The unique museum collection devoted to the evolution history of Russian communication means comprises more than 8,000,000 items.
The resources of the Museum include the State Collection of Postage Signs of the Russian Federation that is invaluable for any stamp-collector. Among the exhibited items there are ancient travelling papers, royal decrees, the first radio set invented by A. Popov, and the first civil communication satellite "Luch-15".
The building of the Museum is a former palace of Prince A. Bezborodko, the Chancellor of the Russian Empire, and a wonderful monument of architecture of the 18th century by Giacomo Quarenghi.
Citizens and guests of St. Petersburg can see not just rare exhibits related to the history of postal service, telegraph, telephone, and radio communication, broadcasting, television, and space communication but also modern means of telecommunication.
The Museum aims to create a historical, cultural, scientific and educational centre of communication that would be attractive for visitors who have various demands and interests including specialists, collectors, schoolchildren, students and even VIPs. Also the Centre could become a family visiting place that would have something interesting for every member of a family including, for example, Internet public access. Everything mentioned above will be provided by special museum programs and projects.
New large rooms of the reconstructed Museum building, its expositions and modern technique make it possible to hold corporate and international conferences, seminars, round tables devoted to museums and other special subjects. Over the years, it can be of much interest for sponsors, specialists of different spheres, and general public.
Rebirth of the Museum in the year of the 300th Anniversary of St. Petersburg was possible thanks to goodwill and support of sponsors.
Important historical events in the Museum's life:
1872 — The Museum was founded.
1877 — The Museum was opened for the public.
1882 — The telephone collection was started.
1884 — The postal department was opened and the collection of postage signs was started.
1914 — The collection of radio communication was started.
1919 — The Museum was moved to Moscow.
1922 — The exhibits were returned to Petrograd (now St. Petersburg) because of no building in Moscow.
1924 — The Museum was moved to the building No.7 in Pochtamtskaya Street, the former palace of Prince A. Bezborodko.
1938 — The first capital repairs of the building.
1941 — Some of the museum exhibits were given to battlefield.
1945 — The Museum was renamed the A. S. Popov Central Museum of Communication to commemorate the 50th Anniversary of Radio on 7th May, 1945.
1950 — Opening of the exposition after it was repaired because of bombardments.
1952 — New Regulation on the Museums was approved.
1974 — The exposition was closed because of emergency condition of the building and its capital repairs.
2000 — The program of development of the Museum was developed and stipulated its opening for the public in 2003.
2001 — The Museum was nationalized again and got budget financing. By order of the Russian president the Museum was included in a list of St. Petersburg sites subject to reconstruction and restoration to commemorate the 300th Anniversary of the city. The concept of new exposition was developed and approved. The Russian Fund of the Communication History was established to finance reconstruction and arrangement of the new exposition of the Museum.
2003 — Reconstruction of the building was finished. The first stage of the new exposition was made.
Vyborg Castle (the Castle, for short) is the oldest of the Vyborg fortifications, which date back to the 13th century. The Castle was built on a small (170 meters by 122 meters or 560 feet by 400 feet) island in the Bay of Vyborg. It is the only completely preserved monument of Western European medieval military architecture.
The Castle was foun...