WorldWalk.info
ru ru en en de de  
Health Resorts, Hotels
Health Resorts, Hotels
Museums, Exhibitions
Museums, Exhibitions
Dolphinariums, Water Parks
Dolphinariums, Water Parks
Nature
Nature
Architecture, Monuments
Architecture, Monuments
Holy Places
Holy Places
Parks, Amusement Parks
Parks, Amusement Parks
Theatres, Cinemas
Theatres, Cinemas

Church of the Entrance of the Most Holy Theotokos into the Temple in Barashi (Moscow)

8 Barashevsky Lane, Moscow, Metro stations: "Chkalovskaya", "Kurskaya", "Chistiye Prudi", "Turgenevskaya".

In the 15th century, the small Ilinskaya Sloboda (settlement) situated there, just near the Pokrovskiye Gate of Bely Gorod. It was owned by Andronikov Monastery of the Saviour and later was handed over to Grand Duke Ivan III. The first wooden Church of St. Prophet Elijah named "under the Pine" at this place was first mentioned in 1476.

The Church of the Entrance of the Most Holy Theotokos into the Temple in Barashi was built in the palace Barashevskaya Sloboda from 1688 to 1701. The walls of the previous 1647–1653 church were used in the construction. Side chapels are dedicated to St. Elijah and St. Longinus.

The Church is one of the brightest monuments of Moscow baroque.

It was constructed traditionally. Main church — refectory — bell tower. The main volume is a high double-height rectangular without columns, which is bridged with a cloistered vault and completed with a lantern dome. The Church was built on a vaulted basement. Top details were clearly drawn. Brick and white-stone decorations were very rich. An elegant dome beautifully looked on a hexagonal drum. The refectory was also on a vaulted basement.

The tire bell tower, dated back to the 1740s, consisted of two quadrangles and two octagons that taper off upwards. All ceilings were vaulted. The facades were finished with flat paired pilasters with elegant capitals. The second tire featured a gallery.

The Church was reconstructed after the 1815 fire. Windows were cut instead of fasciae (the third height). Arched openings were made between the refectory and the side chapels. The iconstand was rearranged. Matvey Kazakov, son of the famous architect Matvey Kazakov, participated in the reconstruction.

In 1837, two heavy columns in the refectory were remade as four Doric columns. Steps leading to the gallery were taken down. The gallery itself was roofed. White-stone inserts have survived on the bell tower's facets.

In 1932, the Church was shut down. A hostel for builders and then a factory occupied the building. On 9 February 1932, the Presidium of the Executive Committee of Moscow Region decreed to demolish the Church and build there a new high-rise building. However, something prevented them from this.

In 1968, M. Bogoyavlensky wrote, "The Factory of Electronic Products No. 2 currently occupies the church. The dome is destroyed. The Church itself is disfigured with factory superstructures including stairs, tubes of different size and so on. The walls are blackened with smoke and not painted. Plaster has crumbled up here and there. The building looks dirty and grubby. It is surrounded by a high wooden fence. Some graves with inscribed tombstones have survived in the basement. In 1948, a wall was broken through for the factory purposes. It was said that three niches were discovered. There three skeletons were bricked up. They had golden crosses and crowns on their chests and heads. Officials from the People's Commissariat for Internal Affairs immediately came and confiscated all golden things."

In 1977, they gradually began to take away the factory. By 1979, it completely moved out.

A restoration workshop of the All-Soviet Union Production Scientific and Restoration Complex occupied the Church until 1993. The building reconstruction, started in the 1970s, was continued. By 1983, a cross was erected on the bell tower. The Church was in scaffolding. The side chapels' domes were mounted again. From the Podsosensky Lane side one can see it quite well that the Church's apses protrude far behind the frontage line.

The reconstruction was finished by 1990.

In 1993, the Church was handed back to believers.

Image Gallery Image Preview (7)

Church of the Entrance of the Most Holy Theotokos into the Temple in Barashi



info@worldwalk.infoinfo@worldwalk.info