Warning: mysql_connect(): Headers and client library minor version mismatch. Headers:50544 Library:50633 in /home/worldwa2/public_html/adminPF/inc/mysql_db.inc on line 27 Church of the Entry into Jerusalem
The Church of the Entry into Jerusalem is an example of the original Kashin architecture. The Church has been known under this name since 1401. In 1774, it was permitted to build "a stone church… instead of two ramshackle wooden churches…"
The building is situated on an open site, not in the centre but shifted to Moskovskaya Street. It features five spectacular skaly domes. The high building is outlined against the south-western part of the town. The domes seem to be very heavy and remind popular architectural style of Yroslavl Region.
Decoration is very simple. The Church was owned by the Manukhins, a family of merchants, for a while. Their graves near the Church prove this fact.
A three-tire bell tower, which did not survive, was constructed in 1816.
After the 1917 Russian Revolution, the Church was closed. In 1929, bells were removed, and an icon stand was dismantled.
In 1936, the History and Archaeology Museum moved there. Its exposition was based on a collection by the merchant of the top guild I. Kunkin (1835–1908). The merchant Kunkin was a famous person in Kashin. He was keen on collecting antique things, carried out his own archaeological excavations and once found an ancient treasure of 413 silver coins. He established something like a museum in his own house, and citizens of Kashin were happy to bring various antiques to him. However, his appeal for opening a real museum in the town does not have any success. The Museum appeared in Kashin in 1918, after the Revolution. It still exists in the Church of the Entry into Jerusalem.
The Resurrection Cathedral stands on the town's highest point, the so called Dukhova Hill where in the 13th – 15th centuries strong fortifications, earth walls, moats, wooden walls and towers were constructed.
This former Kremlin is reminded of by the high mounds, which have survived nearby. According to chronicles, the Cathedral existed as earl...
The Krestoznamenskaya Church, built from 1782 to 1784, is a modest small temple similar to most Kashin churches built in the second half of the 18th century. It is situated on the right bank of the Kashinka River. The Church has two floors. An unheated part, used for summer services, is downstairs; while upstairs there is a heated winter church (17...