WorldWalk.info
ru ru en en de de  
Health Resorts, Hotels
Health Resorts, Hotels
Museums, Exhibitions
Museums, Exhibitions
Dolphinariums, Water Parks
Dolphinariums, Water Parks
Nature
Nature
Architecture, Monuments
Architecture, Monuments
Holy Places
Holy Places
Parks, Amusement Parks
Parks, Amusement Parks
Theatres, Cinemas
Theatres, Cinemas

Cathedral of the Ascension (Kashin)

1 Yedineniya Square (the intersection of Lenina Street and 25 Oktyabrya Street), Kashin, tel.: +7 48234 202-03.

Map

In the 17th century, Mikhail Fyodorovich, the first tsar of the Romanov dynasty, donated land for a construction of the Church of the Ascension in Kashin.

The stone church was constructed in 1799. Earlier on its site, there was the wooden Church of the Ascension, destroyed in 1709. This is the town's large-scale structure, second only to the Cathedral of the Resurrection. The cathedral is situated on the other bank of the Kashinka River, in the town centre, and is well within the view from the Cathedral of the Resurrection.

The cathedral was redesigned and extended in 1857–1860, using funds of the merchant N. Terlikov.

In 1867–1870, using funds of the merchants Dorogutins and the same Terlikov, the cathedral acquired its present appearance.

The church's composition was designed taking into consideration the three-dimensional interaction. The building's distinctive properties are a special compactness and centricity. Its massive cube features a traditional group of five domes.

The standalone bell tower was constructed in the Empire style in 1849 to a design of the official governorate's architect I. Lvov. The bell tower is two-tiered and features a thin spire. It is crowned with a small head, having a cross, and it retains the austere forms of the architecture of the first quarter of the 19th century.

In 1929, the cross was removed and the icon-stand was disassembled.

In 1962, the church was shut down, and its building was used as a furniture warehouse of the Kashintorg company and as a teenagers- and youth-club.

In 1993, after having been restored, the church was re-opened for the church service, becoming the town's cathedral.

On the day of Blessed St. Ann of Kashin, the grand duchess and nun, 25 June 1993, the reliquary containing her relics was moved to the Cathedral of Ascension from the Church of the Nativity on the Mount, where they were placed in 1986. At present, bits of the relics of St. Ann of Kashin can be found in every Kashin's church.

The cathedral also possesses:
– bits of the relics of Venerable St. Makary of Kalyazin;
– an icon that contains bits of the relics of St. John the Baptist;
– bits of the relics of Venerable Martyr St. Yelizaveta Fyodorovna Romanova (under the main altar).

Image Gallery Image Preview (4)

Cathedral of the Ascension

слушать песнь 80



info@worldwalk.infoinfo@worldwalk.info