WorldWalk.info
ru ru en en de de  
Health Resorts, Hotels
Health Resorts, Hotels
Museums, Exhibitions
Museums, Exhibitions
Dolphinariums, Water Parks
Dolphinariums, Water Parks
Nature
Nature
Architecture, Monuments
Architecture, Monuments
Holy Places
Holy Places
Parks, Amusement Parks
Parks, Amusement Parks
Theatres, Cinemas
Theatres, Cinemas

Epiphany Cathedral in Elokhovo (Moscow)

15 Spartakovskaya St., Moscow (tel.: +7 499 261-69-13), Metro station: "Baumanskaya".

http://www.elohovosobor.ru

Epiphany Church was founded in the 17th century. It was originally a wooden building that was located where the now-existing cathedral sits.

From 1722 to 1731, a stone church was constructed under the patronage of Tsarevna Praskovya Ivanovna and with the support of Emperor Peter I. Its side chapel was dedicated to the Annunciation. The Church was consecrated on 4 July, 1731.

From 1790 to 1792, St. Nicholas's side chapel was added, while the Annunciation side chapel was reconstructed.

The Church is very important to all Russians because Alexander Pushkin, the Great Russian poet, was baptised there on 8 June, 1799. In 1992, a memorial plaque was hung on the Cathedral's facade to remember this event.

In 1837, the old church was partially destroyed, and construction of a new stone church, which was bigger than the previous one, was started and finished in 1845. It was designed by Yevgraf Turin (1796–1872), a famous Moscow architect. The Cathedral was consecrated on 18 October 1853. Architect P. Zikov added on a dome and an attique above the refectory in 1889.

It is a classical building, like many other architectural monuments of that time. White pilasters pair perfectly with greenish walls. The Cathedral looks very soft and stable. Everything is well-balanced in its appearance. A bell tower and the dome are crowned with gilded cupolas with crosses.

On the Presentation of Jesus at the Temple of 1925, Patriarch Tikhon recited the liturgy in the Cathedral. In Soviet times, the Church was not shut down. After the Epiphany Temple in Dorogomilovo, a former Patriarch's cathedral, was closed, a pulpit of a Patriarch's locum tenens was moved to Elokhovo.

When Moscow's Cathedral of Christ the Saviour was demolished on 5 December 1931, Epiphany Church in Elokhovo became a cathedral and kept this status during the entire Soviet epoch. It was not until 1983, when Danilov Monastery was handed over to the Orthodox Church, that it was deprived of its title.

The Church's sacred objects include the Our Lady of Kazan Icon, relics of St. Alexius, metropolitan of Moscow, the wonder-working Icon of St. Nicholas, and the honourable "Seeking out the Lost" Icon.

The high altar is dedicated to the Epiphany, while the southern side chapel is didicated to the Annunciation and the northern side chapel to St. Nicholas.

Image Gallery Image Preview (3)

Epiphany Cathedral in Elokhovo



info@worldwalk.infoinfo@worldwalk.info