WorldWalk.info
ru ru en en de de  
Health Resorts, Hotels
Health Resorts, Hotels
Museums, Exhibitions
Museums, Exhibitions
Dolphinariums, Water Parks
Dolphinariums, Water Parks
Nature
Nature
Architecture, Monuments
Architecture, Monuments
Holy Places
Holy Places
Parks, Amusement Parks
Parks, Amusement Parks
Theatres, Cinemas
Theatres, Cinemas

Church of Our Lady of Kazan in Kolomenskoye (Moscow)

Bld. 9, 39 Andropova Avenue, Kolomenskoye Museum Reserve, Moscow (tel.: +7 495 115-23-90), Metro station: "Kolomenskaya".

Construction of the Church of Our Lady of Kazan was planned by Michael Romanov, the first Russian Tsar of the house of Romanov. He wanted to build it in memory of the deliverance from the 1612 Polish intervention. However, the Church was constructed as late as in 1651 during the reign of Aleksey Romanov and timed to the birth of his son and heir Tsarevich Dmitri.

The brick two-storied Church stands on a high basement. The rectangular building has two stairways, protruded far from the south and north, with porches leading to the first floor of the building. The northern entrance, connected with a separately standing square tent-shaped bell tower, is the only sample of the 17th century architecture.

An alure connected the second tire gallery of the house church from the south facade with Tsarina's residence situated in the new wooden palace of Alexey Romanov. Polish ambassadors, who visited Kolomenskoye in 1671, described the alure as "a stone church with side-altars from both sides. The side-altars have windows of 9 cm (3.5 in) in width; the bridges are covered with felt to make them warm and soft". The passages were approximately 50 m (164 ft) long and 3 m (9.8 ft) wide.

After construction works were finished, the Church of Our Lady of Kazan was painted and richly decorated with various fabrics and carpets. Metal floor of the central part and stone floor of the side-altars were felted to make them warmer. The wall icons were decorated with veils and towels; many icons were kept in carved cases.

It was mentioned that most of the court prayed in the refectory, the tsar's confidants prayed in the Church in front of the icon-stand. The Tsar and the Tsarina sat on the festively decorated prayer thrones.

After the Royal Palace was moved to another place in the 1760s, the Church became a parish of Kolomenskoye.

The Church was closed from 1941 to 1942.

Now, the Church of Our Lady of Kazan conducts services all the year round.

Image Gallery Image Preview (5)

Church of Our Lady of Kazan in Kolomenskoye



info@worldwalk.infoinfo@worldwalk.info