The State Museum of Applied and Folk Arts was opened on the 21st of July, 1981. This is the only Russian museum devoted to the history and current state of native decorative applied and folk arts, the large scientific centre that collects, studies and makes arts of the multinational county popular.
The Museum is situated in the most beautiful building complex of the old city estate in the Moscow centre that is a landmark and historical site of the 18th to 20th centuries. In August 1999, the Government of the Russian Federation decreed to give the Museum all art, library and archive resources of the Scientific and Research Institute of Art Knowledge. These resources became a base to establish the Museum of Folk Arts named after Sergey Morozov in Leontiyevsky Lane. Morozov was a famous Russian manufacturer, art patron of the end of the 19th century, and founder of the Handicraft Museum situated there before.
Since the second quarter of the 17th century, the country mansion was owned by the Streshnevs, the boyar family. Count Ivan Andreyevich Osterman inherited the estate in 1783. In the end of the 18th century, the main estate building was reconstructed upon a project of a nameless architect, who evidently was an associate of M. F. Kazakov, and took the form close to the modern one. In 1796, Brothers Ivan Andreyevich and Fyodor Andreyevich Ostermans conferred their title and surname to their grand-nephew Alexander Ivanovich Tolstoy, a hero of the Patriotic War of 1812 and foreign campaigns of the Russian Army. The estate of A. I. Osterman-Tolstoy was burned in the fire of 1812 and had not been reconstructed for a long time. It was then sold to the Most Holy Synod in 1834 to establish Moscow School of Theology there. In early 1840s, the building was reconstructed and enlarged upon a project of A. F. Shchedrin. And in 1885, architect P. E. Bayeva added a two-storied building of the eparchial hostel to the right gallery.
In 1918, the estate was nationalized and given under control of All-Russian Central Executive Committee. After the Great Patriotic War, the Presidium of Supreme Soviet and Council of Ministers of the RSFSR was placed in the mansion. In early 1950s, a new three-storied building upon a project of V. G. Helffreich and Kabanov was added to the school hostel.
In 1981, the estate was given to the All-Russian Museum of Applied and Folk Arts opened for public on the 21st of July.
The Moscow City Museum (the Museum, for short) was founded in 1896 at the initiative of the Moscow city parliament, the Moscow City Duma. It was then called the Museum of Moscow Municipal Facilities and Services. In 1920, the Museum was renamed the Moscow Municipal Museum. In 1940 to 1986, the Moscow inhabitants knew it as the Museum of History and...
The Museum was founded in 1894 by the famous industrialist and art patron Alexey Alexandrovich Bakhrushin (1865–1929) and based on his private collection of theatrical and manuscript memorabilia collected in the end of the 19th century.
In 1913, the Russian Imperial Academy of Sciences donated the Museum, renowned as the Alexey Bakhrushin Museum...
The Borodino Panorama Museum (the Museum, for short) is situated in the former Fili village, now the centre of Moscow, Kutuzovsky Avenue. The Museum is the core of a memorial complex dedicated to the Napoleon's invasion of Russia of 1812 (known in Russia as the Patriotic War of 1812).
The complex started taking shape in the late 19th century whe...