WorldWalk.info
ru ru en en de de  
Health Resorts, Hotels
Health Resorts, Hotels
Museums, Exhibitions
Museums, Exhibitions
Dolphinariums, Water Parks
Dolphinariums, Water Parks
Nature
Nature
Architecture, Monuments
Architecture, Monuments
Holy Places
Holy Places
Parks, Amusement Parks
Parks, Amusement Parks
Theatres, Cinemas
Theatres, Cinemas

Church of the Intercession of the Holy Virgin (Kolomna)

10 Moskvoretsky Lane, Kolomna, tel.: +7 496 614-72-17.

The Church of the Intercession of the Holy Virgin in a settlement of the same name is one of the churches of Kolomna Posad. The Church was first mentioned at the end of the 17th century. It was already stone at that time. This fact says much about the settlement's wealth — it was rare to see brick buildings in the 17th century. The Church got its present-day architectural appearance in the early 19th century.

To commemorate the Napoleon's army retreat from Kolomna, the now-existing Church of the Intercession with side chapels dedicated to Our Lady of Smolenks and St. Gregory of Nazianzus was built in 1813. The construction was financially supported by Kolomna merchants Philipp, Cyprian, and Cyril Kislovs.

On 4 August 1828, the Church was consecrated by St. Philaret (Drozdov), the Metropolitan of Moscow and Kolomna. The Church's yard was enclosed with a stone fence with iron grid.

Houses for priests and clergymen were built in different years to the efforts of parishioners, the honourable Shanin's family.

A parochial school was established in 1907 by Priest V. Tsvetkov. The school occupied a building specially constructed by Martin Shanin. As for 1st January 1909, 52 students studied at the school. In 1916, there were 22 boys and 18 girls studying. Alexey Tretyakov, a Kolomna bourgeois, administered the parochial school. In 1906, he became a church warden as well. Alexey Tretyakov was awarded with a blessed letter of commendation by the Holy Synod.

The clergymen were paid from the funds contributed by the Church founders, the brothers Kislovs, titular councillor Melaniya Nikitina, and Kolomna bourgeois Porfiry Zobov.

Since the foundation day of Kolomna Church of the Intercession, an interesting tradition had existed. On the patronal festival day, the Intercession of the Holy Virgin, the whole town came to the Cathedral of the Assumption. The ceremonial procession including many priests, clergymen, and laypeople headed through the Kremlin and the Pyatniskiye Gates to Vodovozny Lane. On a small settlement square near the Church of the Intercession, a thanksgiving service to commemorate the Napoleon's retreat was held. This pious tradition had continued for over a hundred years, until the late 1920s, when persecutions of churches put an end to religion processions.

The last prior of the Church of the Intercession was Archpriest Alexander Flyorin. On 17 August 1937, he was arrested on a false charge. On 14 October of the same year, he was executed by shooting at the Butovo firing range near Moscow.

In soviet times, the Church's building, occupied by a fittings factory, was severely damaged. The Church of the Intercession lost its bell tower, dome crowning the rotunda, and furnishings.

In 1995, the Church was returned to the believers. Reconstruction works began.

Today, the Church has a lantern drum with a dome and cross. The rotunda has been plastered and painted; window openings and frames have been restored. The frame of the apse's and refectory's roof has been reconstructed. The refectory's interior has been restored. Temporary icon stands have been arranged. A gilded dome has appeared upon the rotunda.

The Divine Liturgy and other church services are regularly held now. The Church has a library of sacred literature. On feasts, literary and musical shows are performed.

The Church of the Intercession holds a rehabilitation community for ex-convicts. These people not just take part in the Church's life, but also have a chance to make an honest living participating in the reconstruction works. The Church's stuff helps them to restore their documents. Some of them started families.

Image Gallery Image Preview (3)

Church of the Intercession of the Holy Virgin



info@worldwalk.infoinfo@worldwalk.info