WorldWalk.info
ru ru en en de de  
Health Resorts, Hotels
Health Resorts, Hotels
Museums, Exhibitions
Museums, Exhibitions
Dolphinariums, Water Parks
Dolphinariums, Water Parks
Nature
Nature
Architecture, Monuments
Architecture, Monuments
Holy Places
Holy Places
Parks, Amusement Parks
Parks, Amusement Parks
Theatres, Cinemas
Theatres, Cinemas

Church of St. Mary of Egypt (Belinsky)

The Church of St. Mary of Egypt is situated in the State Lermontov Museum Reserve "Tarkhany".

The Church has one dome. Time has spared the monument; its architecture has been preserved.

The small symmetrical Empire building was constructed by the estate owner Elizabeth Arsenyeva in remembrance of her daughter Maria. The Church was constructed in 1819 and 1820.

From 1826 to 1840, the Church functioned as a parish. Mikhail Lermontov visited the Church when he was a child. In 1836, a thanksgiving service was held celebrating the visit of Lermontov to Tarkhany.

The Church functioned till 1925.

The Church's walls are decorated with memorial icons from Tarkhany churches (dating back to the 18th and the 19th centuries). Church utensils and other decoration elements reproduce a church image of Lermontov's time.

Books are of special interest. A work of Russian church literature the Great Menaion Reader of September 1754, church registers. In a manuscript book of St. Nicholas' Church Lermontov was first mentioned, when he was 6 months old, as a parishioner in spring of 1815. In 1821, the seven year old Lermontov was registered several times as a godfather in his grandmother's bond families.

Image Gallery Image Preview (12)

Church of St. Mary of Egypt



info@worldwalk.infoinfo@worldwalk.info