WorldWalk.info
ru ru en en de de  
Health Resorts, Hotels
Health Resorts, Hotels
Museums, Exhibitions
Museums, Exhibitions
Dolphinariums, Water Parks
Dolphinariums, Water Parks
Nature
Nature
Architecture, Monuments
Architecture, Monuments
Holy Places
Holy Places
Parks, Amusement Parks
Parks, Amusement Parks
Theatres, Cinemas
Theatres, Cinemas

Kiev Zoo (Kiev)

32 Pobedy Avenue, Kiev (tel.: +38 044 236-60-54), Metro station: "Polytekhnichesky Institute".

Map

http://www.zoo.net.ua

Kiev Zoological Park (the Zoo, for short) was founded at the initiative of the Kiev Nature-Lovers Society in 1908.

At the beginning, there was an exhibition of Southern Russia's fauna; the exhibition consisted of 17 species of mammals and birds. Some years later, the exhibition became a permanent one and turned into a zoo.

At that time, the Zoo was situated in the Botanical Gardens of the University of St. Vladimir (currently, the University of Taras Shevchenko). The animals were donated or brought from expeditions by scientists of the university. In winters, the species of hot countries were placed in warehouses of the Kiev Tovarny railway station.

Gradually, the collection of animals became so large that there was not enough place for it in the allocated area of the Botanical Gardens. Moreover, loud cries of the animals disturbed the people who lived nearby. Due to this, the issue of moving the Zoo was raised in 1911, and the City Council allocated a large area on the outskirts of the city to the Zoo.

The relief of the area was rugged, full of gullies and hills, and it was not suitable for residential and industrial construction. However, it was highly suitable for the Zoo, which used the ruggedness of the relief rationally and successfully: lakes for water birds were created in the former gullies, and the vista of the Zoo was seen very well from the top points of the hills.

During all that time, the City Council did not finance the Zoo, and it existed due to private donations. At the same time, the admission was free of charge.

After the 1917 Russian Revolution, the Zoo was nationalized.

Before the Second World War, there were about 1,500 animals in the Zoo. However, during the Nazi German occupation it was destroyed, the most valuable animal species were put on trains and sent to Germany, and a Nazi German military garrison was accommodated in the area of the Zoo.

After the liberation of Kiev, the Zoo was rebuilt. Gradually, new open-air cages appeared.

In 1982, the Animal Island was constructed.

In 1983, the Zoo was given the status of a state zoological park and was included in the list of the nature protection fund of the USSR. In 1996, the Zoo became a member of the European Association of Zoos and Aquaria and became actively involved in international programmes for reproduction of rare and endangered species.

On 16th June 1992, the Zoo was included in the list of the nature-protection fund of the state importance (Law of Ukraine no. 2456–XII).

In 1998–2003, some new open-air cages were constructed: the Bear Continent and the Aviary, an original sphere for black vultures, which are rare birds.

Currently, the collection of the Zoo contains about 3,500 animals of 400 species. More than 130 species of trees and bushes grow in the Zoo.

Image Gallery Image Preview (83)

Kiev Zoo

как сделать костюм дарта вейдера такого вида



info@worldwalk.infoinfo@worldwalk.info