WorldWalk.info
ru ru en en de de  
Health Resorts, Hotels
Health Resorts, Hotels
Museums, Exhibitions
Museums, Exhibitions
Dolphinariums, Water Parks
Dolphinariums, Water Parks
Nature
Nature
Architecture, Monuments
Architecture, Monuments
Holy Places
Holy Places
Parks, Amusement Parks
Parks, Amusement Parks
Theatres, Cinemas
Theatres, Cinemas

Tchaikovsky National Conservatory of Music (Kiev)

1-3 Gorodetskogo Street, Kiev, Metro stations: "Ploshchad Nezavisimosti", "Kreshchatik".

Map

Tchaikovsky National Conservatory of Music (Kiev Conservatory or the Conservatory, for short) was founded in 1913, based on the Russian Music Society.

The foundation of Kiev Conservatory actively involved such titans of world classical music as Sergey Rachmaninoff, who was on tour in Kiev in 1911, 1913–1915 and 1917; Pyotr Tchaikovsky, the founder of the Russian Music Society; Aleksandr Glazunov and others.

The first director of Kiev Conservatory was Vladimir Pukhalsky (1913).

He was followed by Reinhold Gliere, the USSR's People's Artist, an outstanding conductor and teacher.

In 1923–1928, the Conservatory existed as the Music College, while in 1928–1934 it existed as the music department of Kiev Lysenko Institute of Music and Drama.

Since 1934, the Conservatory has been officially known as Kiev State Conservatory.

In 1938, the Conservatory was decorated with the Order of Lenin, the USSR's highest decoration.

Since 1940, the Conservatory has borne the name of Pyotr Tchaikovsky.

The history of the Conservatory's building is very interesting. It was constructed in 1897 to house the Hotel Continental.

The design was commissioned from Georgy Schleicher and Eduard Bratman, two outstanding architects. Later, they were joined by the architect Vladislav Gorodetsky.

A terrible fire destroyed that building, and only as late as in 1958 the contemporary building of the Conservatory was constructed, by the efforts of the architects L. Katok and Ya. Krasny who started working on it in 1955.

During the Second World War, after Kiev had been liberated from the Nazi troops, evacuated institutions started coming back, frantically searching for undamaged buildings.

Kiev Conservatory occupied a house in Bolshaya Podvalnaya Street. It would seem obvious that the song- and music-loving Ukraine needed an appropriate building for its conservatory. However, instead of constructing such a building, it was decided to use the building of the Hotel Continental by adapting it for the needs of a conservatory and adding a concert hall.

Image Gallery Image Preview (5)

Tchaikovsky National Conservatory of Music



info@worldwalk.infoinfo@worldwalk.info